Tuesday, September 24, 2013

More Plywood Floors and Blue Bedroom Walls !


Sooooooooo... I decided to paint my bedroom blue...

OF COURSE ... it didn't go down easy

oh no no no

I obsessed over the color, bought an insane amount of samples

after Mr. Fractured had painted half the bedroom the chosen color,  I decided i hated the color
oh no!
I then asked him to paint it another color... which i was so sure would work since i'd loved it in other bedrooms

after he had painted half the bedroom the NEW color...
I decided i hated THAT color too
...uh oh...

At this point i decided i would call my friend for help
and told her it was 
A ROOM PAINTING COLOR EMERGENCY!!! 

So she came by and said the first color was just fine, and to paint two coats
and she was right!

Geeeesh!

Soooo then i decided i better be very very very nice and sweet to Mr. Fractured - which i was - and then when he was feeling very manly and magnanimous i asked him if he would repaint everything the first color again

Which he did... 
 he was really sweet about it all
i guess he already knows i'm insane and has embraced the horror... ...smile...

Phew!



and  I actually really love it!

Imagine that!

I resisted blue for years
some of my reasons were.....
everyone does blue bedrooms, ,... blue is boring, it'll look too blue... i'll get tired of blue... i really like blush pinks... i really like dark walls...all the blues looked too cold

Boy was i wrong!

It's so peaceful, and clean, and quieting...  
I am actually shocked at how much i like it

I'm  not all the way finished fluffing it up, i want some prettier decorative pillows

apparently pillows in soft blues are impossible to find even though i've seen them everywhere i've been for the last 10 years up until now when i want some ...
 

Here are a few pics of the color


 it is by Sherwin Williams

and it is called "Sea Salt"

and believe me it is a chameleon !
it changes so much with the light it's not even funny

here is a pic with the room almost empty

God it felt good to get all the "stuff" out of the space and have the emptiness
 
even in the different photos you can see what a chameleon this color is



plus, blue looks really pretty with baskets, and i love baskets


"Sea Salt" is  a combination blue/gray/green
very very soft
and seems to be gray enough to go with lots of other colors

i want to get an armload of dried gray/green hydrangeas kinda like these to add to a big basket in the room

wouldn't that be pretty?!



AND... guess what inspired me to paint the walls???

We pulled up our carpet and had plywood floors cut up on put down !

Tada!



white washed with good old Annie Sloan chalk paint !


Isn't that cool!

I hired someone to do it - and asked him to cut the planks 6 inches wide - 
so he drove up with a whole truckload of planks about 4 inches wide...

uhhhhhhh...  what was i gonna do, tell him to take them back... ?!
no freakin way

I had taken some days off work, they were ready to get to it, the planks were cut... the bedroom was cleared out
so i just let it go
this size would have to be fine!

They tore up the gucky old carpet
pulled up those nail strips and staples
 

glued and nailed down the floors
 

it took about a day and a half

the carpenter's total cost was around $375.00 for all supplies and materials
Soooo, if you want to do it yourself - that's about what it would cost!


I white washed them with a mix of Annie Sloan paint, some water... and rolled the paint on with a roller


I then sealed them with some acrylic polyeurathane called 
"Stay Clear"   
boy did the wood suck that stuff up!

It all dried really fast, the 'Annie Sloan' and the 'Stay Clear'

and then they were done!

I love them!  The whole room smells like fresh cut wood... and the floor feels so solid,  the colors are all soft, and i got rid of alot of clutter... 

 Mr. Fractured even cleaned off his desk, which, oh yeah... he let me paint  Annie Sloan "old white" with a little wash of "country gray" ..

 the room smells fresh and clean, and feels calming, 
..more meditative ..
even the light is different in here now

it feels pretty darn nice to have most of the work done and a peaceful uncluttered bedroom to come home to

 


...the end...




38 comments:

  1. Cindy-The whole room looks fantastic. I love your plywood floors and I think in the long run you will be glad to have the 4" rather than the 6". It looks more like real pine floors to me. Love that you white washed it, too. It is just perfect and I LOVE the color blue you chose- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful room! Love what you did to the floors. My fave part is the arched windows on your night stands. Beautiful blue color!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my GOODNESS!!!! Love it!!!!! I have had that sea salt paint color picked out fir years. Your room looks so calming and those floors WOW! Cant wait to show my carpenter hubby. Maybe he will do that in Sea Cottage someday. Your dreams will be sweet sailing. Wink ox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the floor!
    Simple solution for sure.
    The blue/grey/green 'sea salt'...beautiful. You captured it in many different lights and it showcases all the beauty!
    I see why you love it.
    I agree with nanaDiana... I think you'll like the 4" wide planks too...in the long run.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG it is gorgeous! The wall color is sooo perfect for your room and the floor is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new room color is so pretty and those floors! what a great idea. I wish I had done that in my house. That guy is lucky you're easy going . Some people would have pitched a fit when he showed up with the wrong size planks. All's well that ends well, they look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cindy,
    Wow, how clever to use plywood on the floors. Looks like engineered wood....love it. Love the white wash too. The wall color is lovely and yes your bedroom does look romantic and soothing.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy, Your room is gorgeous:) and you've picked the perfect shade of blue. Your floors are a lovely color.. the white wash is a perfect match for your decor. Enjoy your day! xxL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a fan of blue bedrooms--I love the blue you picked and I love the name of it which is always a bonus. I think blue is so peaceful. Love it. The floors are amazing! I am surprised you didn't do that a long time ago--aren't you a carpet hater?! I seem to remember you are. Your bedroom looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh darlin....i love, love, lerve it! all! i have always and will always have a blue bedroom...so good for sleepin and that other thing we do in there (sometimes). and those gothic windows are fab....and the floor with the annie sloane whitewash is brilliant! bravissimo!
    happy fall!
    erin
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cindy, it's just beautiful, for all the reasons you stated in your post! I'm partial to it because sea tones are my favorite, it just looks so classy, and calm, cool (in a serene way), and quiet, just lovely. And I LOVE your new floors! The white wash was a genius idea. You have a real Scandinavian/beach-house vibe going on in that room, just gorgeous!

    Best,

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Cindy, this is what i havé béen wanting to do to my carpeted rooms including my small living room, was the wood any type of plywood, was it 1/4 inch ply?
    I would have to only glue it down we are on cement slab foundations here. What was the square footage in the room and was that amount $ with a labor fee?

    I am so taken with the floors and every inch oh your romantic space.
    Well, my friend I am so inspired and I really have to start thinking more about flooring like yours.

    Thank you sweet beautiful friend for this amazing post!

    Lots of inspiration to you
    Xx

    Doré

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, Cindy!!!! I LOVE it!!! What a gorgeously soft, calming color! It's just the most perfect blue ever! :) And your floor.....??? Holy moly. LOVE it too!!!! ♥ Super idea!!! What a beautiful transformation! Blue hydrangeas are going to look so perfect in there in a big basket. GREAT job!!! Sweet dreams!!! xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous, cindy! man, you have been busy! what a man! we haven't had wood floors in the bedroom since our first little bungalow. wonder if i could get used to them again? the blue is perfect, so soft and nurturing. i hear you with the decluttering and clearing out. i need to do this too, mainly because everything is covered with dust and it's just boring right now. except for. my white lights around the window. make me so happy, and i keep them up all year. husband thinks i'm a big baby. but we don't care. love to you!

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one gorgeous blue! I am not a blue type, but this is one soft shade-with a hint of green-that I really respond to. Thank heavens for your friend! And your good man!! And the floor is wonderful! What a great idea! Such a nice relaxing space for you. I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The room looks so beautiful!!! Lots of inspiration for me here as I am getting ready for a master bedroom makeover myself! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would never have thought to use plywood for flooring! You're a genius!! The color for the walls is beautiful! Talk about a romantic room...Wow!! I LOVE it, Cindy!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Cindy, oh my gosh you have stolen my colour lols....I am going to do my bedroom blue too, after I saw Mary Gordon's bedroom (to be featured on my blog Monday), I nearly died...I fell so in love with it, very similar to yours, wait till you see her room I know you will fall in love with it.

    I also want to sand back my reddish wood floors and do a wash, I love the effect Annies paint has and you have done a wonderful job. It has just been launched in NZ and I am waiting for my paint to arrive to re-do some of my mums pieces.

    I had to giggle about your post, in fact I read it out to my other half, and he said, "are you sure she isn't you"...I was reading the bit about re-painting the wall as I have done exactly that too.

    I think the blue I am using is a called French Blue it is a Porters paint. I just can't wait for you to see her bed, it is unbelievable. I absolutely love what you have done to your room and want to achieve a similar look. I am going to take down my French shutters and start from scratch.

    I am off for two weeks to Australia to soak up some sunshine and a break from the blog.

    Just love your makeoever, I will have to feature it alongside mine when I do my room as part of drawing inspiration from.

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Look at you!! I love your bedroom makeover and I love laughing along the way as you tell the horror of freaking out after paint went on the walls...its so scary! But it looks grand~as do the floors!! Woo hoo so proud of you! And you even used my fav paint to do a whitewash and hit Mr FFT's desk. Good going, now enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shut the front door.......wait that is plywood?! Wow totally beautiful! Okay now for your walls....again.....beautiful! Love the color....love the walls.....totally gorgeous room!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Cindy you have such great taste! The floor and that dreamy blue are just perfect! oh i'm scrolling back up i need to have another look :)
    Have a beautiful week,love Krissie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Cindy....I have not stopped by in forever....boy....has your little spot here become "a piece of heaven." Just beautiful my dear.

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Cindy you hit a HOMERUN in this room!!! The Sea Salt walls are serene and beautiful, the floors are genius....plywood.... Wow, that's amazing!!! I love the white wash. So how thick is the plywood, is there a special name or type of plywood you used? And what a sweetie that hubby is, he's a keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi again! I came back to thank you for your sweet comments and got another gorgeous look! Really so pretty and such a wonderful color. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. do you have rachel's new book? if not, i have a copy to send you. yes?

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful! I love the wall color and the new flooring! So inviting and peaceful! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello beautiful! I LOVE your new blue color and floors...they look great! :) Our bedroom is painted blue too...it's call Sky Blue...bright and clean!
    Thank you for your sweet comment on my magazine cover post...oh my GOSH was that fun! I thought I would burst at the seams keeping a secret like that since JULY! lol I have much too big of a mouth to have to keep secrets like that! :-D hee hee hee I had fun going to the bookstore and taking pics with my magazine cover too, but it was SO embarrassing too. The lady at the counter asked why I had reserved so many copies, and I told her the cover was my dining room..........she yelled, "Oh, You're FAMOUS!!!" I wanted to melt into the floor!! :-o LOL Oh well, it was still fun!
    Talk to ya later girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Working as a decorator I wish I had a dollar for every time a client freaked out after the first coat of paint was. I'd have to convince them to wait for the second coat before they made any rash decisions. Some paints darken as they cure over 30 days too. I really like the colour you chose and the plywood for floors is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cindy,
    You are a doll baby, for all you encourage me with over at my place.

    Keep on creating, we love to snoop around.
    Xoxo
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  30. Holy gorgeous floors.....I could not love more and want to shout it out to all the people who have carpet and sub floors...this is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Cindy! Thanks for visiting me today:) I hope you are well and enjoying your week... and these gorgeous hardwood floors. They are so pretty! xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  32. So pretty Cindy. I love your humor, too. I have never seen this on floors, but love the simplicity of them!

    ReplyDelete
  33. So pretty, Cindy. Love the wall color and especially love the floors. I've never seen this done, but love the simplicity of the floors.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love love love love this room and LOVE the blue!!! I was never a blue person mainly because I grew up in a home that was all green!!! But I really love blue and have just figured out that the blues are my color to wear too!
    Your hubby sounds like mine! So funny changing the paint like that ...that is something i would do.
    I am looking for a chest of drawers exactly like yours for my living room. And I know what you mean about seeing something everywhere and then when you want it can't find it! That's what i'm going through now trying to find a dresser like yours!
    Your floors are beautiful too!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh My Gosh The room turned out beautifully! I so want to do plywood floors in my upstairs rooms. We have hardwood on the first floor and I just don't want carpet anymore. Hopefully I can talk hubby into this. Thanks for sharing your lovely room!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my goodness! It is beautiful! I want this color for my sunroom RIGHT NOW! LOL!
    The room is stunning. The color combination is magical!

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  37. So So Beautiful !!!! i love the color and floors.... I have missed you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Cindy- I know that it's been a while since you did this post about your bedroom, but I have a few questions. How thick was the plywood? Was it any particular grade? Did you have any problem with splinters? And , finally, did you leave a small gap between the boards, or is that just a shadow from the photo? This room is so beautiful and I would love to use your idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Awesome talented friends and followers say: